MCHS was formed by a merger of Lilongwe School of Health Sciences (LSHS) in Lilongwe, the Medical Assistants Training School (MATS) in Blantyre and the Zomba School of Nursing (ZSN) in Zomba. The merger of the three campuses was through government order dated 21st June, 1996.
Lilongwe School of Health Sciences, formerly known as the Medical Auxiliary Training School was built in 1976. The school opened its doors on 12th July, 1976. The initial classroom infrastructure was built with funding from the French Government. Later, the Howard University Project constructed the administration block and some hostels. Additional students’ hostels were erected by World Bank under the Population, Health and Nutrition (PHN) project. The World Health Organisation (WHO), under ‘the essential drug programme’, donated several equipment and rehabilitated a laboratory to facilitate teaching and learning.
Medical Assistant Training School in Blantyre became operational in the 1960s. However, the present structure was built in 1996 with funding from the African Development Bank (ADB).
Zomba School of Nursing which opened in 1930 is the oldest institution. The current structure was built in 1990 with support from the World Bank under the PHN project.
Until 1996 the three institutions operated separately under the Ministry of Health. The current Malawi College of Sciences is a parastatal organization under the Board of Governors.