The College wishes to inform members of staff that through the Chiyambi Human Resource for Health Project with funding from USAID, the College has received two PhD scholarships for its academic members of staff. The opportunity is open to all academic members of staff from all the three Campuses.
Study in: Any Country (Cost-allowing-Please check with the Programme Manager, Mrs. Jane Mazengera)
Funding Available: August, 2022
No. of Scholarships: 2
USAID, under the Chiyambi Human Resource for Health (CHRH) Project – Cooperative Agreement #72061221CA0005, is a five-year Project effected on 5 May 2021, with completion date of 4May, 2026. It is one of the projects under the USAID-Malawi objective of Leveraging Local Capacity to strengthen Health Service Delivery – Human Resource for Health (LLCAP-HRH) Activity #2 in Malawi.
The CHRH Project’s objectives are:
- To increase availability of well trained and qualified health workers working in priority health areas in Malawi.
- To improve quality of pre-service health professional education by enhancing Malawi College of Health Sciences’ staff capacity
As a way of fulfilling its objectives, the Project is providing an opportunity to 2 academic members at Malawi College of Health Sciences (MCHS) to pursue a Doctoral Degree in a health-related field. This is an activity that aims at enhancing staff capacity and improving the quality of pre-service health professional education.
Brief Description of the Scholarship Opportunity
The USAID Scholarship is available for full-time outstanding applicants from Environmental Health, Pharmacy, Clinical Medicine and Nursing Departments in Blantyre, Lilongwe and Zomba campuses. Academic members applying for these scholarships must be willing to sign a bond with Malawi College of Health Sciences. Further, candidates applying for the scholarships MUST provide evidence of admission in a PhD Program in a health-related field and be on MCHS training plan.
The scholarship provides tuition fees, approved air ticket (does not include dependants), registration fee, settling-in allowance, monthly stipend, book allowance, research allowance for a maximum of 48 months. Visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
Applicants for the PhD are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- A full time academic member from the specified programs at MCHS who has worked with the College for a minimum of 2 years;
- Holds a first degree in health related program of at least upper second class (2:1) honors standard, or a second class degree (2:2);
- Holds a Master’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university or institution of higher education in a field related to health,
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in health and training after obtaining a Master’s degree (full-time equivalent);
- A GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale (equivalent to 70% on a 100 % scale) in the Master’s degree earned.
- Evidence of a PhD admission letter from an accredited institution of higher learning;
- Willingness to sign a bond to return and work with MCHS for another 5 years after PhD qualification
- Must not be over the age of 50 by August, 2022.
Candidates will have to undergo selection interviews which will be conducted in July, 2022. Successful candidates will be notified through Principals.
Applications should be sent to the Office of the College Registrar through the Principal of the Campus who will need to endorse/support the application. Applicants must include the following;
- An application letter duly stamped by the Principal;
- Certified copies of certificates and academic transcripts for both undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications;
- Curriculum vitae
- Offer/admission letter for PhD training from an accredited University/College
- Motivation letter – stating how the applicant will help contribute to the promotion of health care system in Malawi in line with the targets of Agenda 2063 and Sustainable Development Goals. The applicant should also be able to demonstrate how his/her studies will contribute to the success of the College.
Candidates should create a check list of all the items needed for their application. Candidates who will not provide all/any of the required items will be disqualified.
All applications should reach the office of the College Registrar by 30th June, 2022.